South Carolina Editor in Chief
States Newsroom is seeking an experienced journalist as Editor in Chief for a new South Carolina news outlet featuring hard-hitting reporting and insightful commentary on state government, policy, and politics.
The Editor will be based in Columbia and will hire and oversee three reporters, write commentary, and be an opinion leader in the state. The outlet will provide investigative and in-depth daily reporting as well as commentary and analysis of South Carolina’s most critical challenges.
The Editor will also work with policy experts in South Carolina to feature their content on a dynamic site and build the outlet’s robust social media presence. The Editor will work closely with States Newsroom and network peers in other states to share best practices and build relationships that help refine the outlet’s operations.
- Hire and supervise reporting and digital staff to provide daily news coverage and investigative reporting on major state policy and political stories
- Provide weekly (at minimum) commentary on major state policy and political stories
- Develop and distribute original content daily
- Work with digital editor to build a robust social media presence including Facebook, Twitter, and emerging platforms
- Use personal social media accounts to amplify site’s content
- Appear in traditional media as opinion leader
- Develop and distribute original content to drive mainstream media coverage
- Solicit editorial content from contributors for briefs and opinion section
- Participate in weekly calls, and periodic visits with National Editors as well as twice yearly meetings of all States Newsroom editors in Washington, DC
The Editor will have committed funding for staffing, freelancers, technology and overhead expenses. Marketing and editorial support are provided by our headquarters office.
Qualifications and Compensation
The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of reporting and/or editing experience, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a deep knowledge of South Carolina’s political history and media landscape.
The minimum salary for a state editor is $90,000 and rises with experience. Our generous benefits package includes:
- Premium-free platinum healthcare for employees and their families (i.e., nothing comes out of your paycheck!)
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- 2 weeks of personal leave per year
- 20 hours of paid volunteer time per year
- 7 holidays and 4 floating holidays
- $75 monthly cell phone reimbursement
- $200 cell phone replacement benefit every two years
- $75 monthly fitness benefit
- 401K with up to 3% match
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Full-service EAP
- Annual DeleteMe subscription
Authorization to work in the United States is required. All States Newsroom employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of hire. New laptop and any necessary equipment will be provided by States Newsroom.
About our culture
States Newsroom is dedicated to producing journalism at all levels — from quick hit to investigative — but not at the expense of burning out its employees. We are supportive, exciting, welcoming and positive. We believe in creating sustainable careers for journalists on the crucial state government beat.
States Newsroom’s mission is to connect people to the power that shapes their daily lives through relentless reporting and incisive commentary on state government and policy. Journalism is a powerful force for social change, uniquely suited to challenging systemic inequality and racism. Our goal is to build an organization that fulfills that mission.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. We are always working to better represent our communities and are supported in these efforts by a network-wide Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice committee. We are also creating a leadership position for a professional who will help meet these goals.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and at least 3 writing samples or clips/links to jobs<at>statesnewsroom.com.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. Read our full DEIJ statement for more information.