Be part of a dynamic new Oklahoma newsroom and give readers hard-hitting government coverage that connects state policy to the people who live it.
States Newsroom in Oklahoma will be dedicated to serving as a government watchdog, covering policy, politics, and other stories of statewide interest. We want reporters who can provide important information to readers about elected officials, how public money is spent, and the ways that policy decisions affect people across the Sooner State.
Three reporters will be based in Oklahoma City to cover the Legislature, governor’s office, state agencies, elections and other assignments. The reporters will produce daily and enterprise stories, take photos, and share content on social media.
The ideal candidates will know how to track trending topics and hold officials accountable through deep source building and public records requests. The reporting will take Oklahomans beyond press releases, providing a deeper understanding of their state government.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on Oklahoma state government and officials
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Collaborate with other reporters on projects and to share research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
Qualifications and Compensation
We’re looking for candidates with at least 3 years previous news reporting and/or editing experience (student journalism counts), sound news judgment, flexibility, and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of Oklahoma’s political landscape and leaders, previous digital, photography and/or videography experience, and an entrepreneurial spirit are strong assets. States Newsroom journalists are expected to produce at least four posts per week.
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the United States is required. All States Newsroom employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of hire.
The salary for these reporting positions starts at $50,000 and rises with experience. Our generous benefits package includes:
- Premium-free platinum healthcare for employees and their families (i.e., nothing comes out of your paycheck!)
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- 2 weeks of personal leave per year
- 20 hours of paid volunteer time per year
- 7 holidays and 4 floating holidays
- $75 monthly cell phone reimbursement
- $200 cell phone replacement benefit every two years
- $75 monthly fitness benefit
- 401K with up to 3% match
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Full-service EAP
- Annual DeleteMe subscription
New laptop and any necessary equipment will be provided by States Newsroom.
About our Culture
States Newsroom is dedicated to producing journalism at all levels — from quick hit to investigative — but not at the expense of burning out its employees. We are supportive, exciting, welcoming and positive. We believe in creating sustainable careers for journalists on the crucial state government beat.
States Newsroom’s mission is to connect people to the power that shapes their daily lives through relentless reporting and incisive commentary on state government and policy. Journalism is a powerful force for social change, uniquely suited to challenging systemic inequality and racism. Our goal is to build an organization that fulfills that mission.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. We are always working to better represent our communities and are supported in these efforts by a network-wide Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice committee.
To apply send a cover letter, resume with references, and at least three links or clips to jobs-at-statesnewsroom.com.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. Read our full DEIJ statement for more information.