Location: Madison, WI
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: WI Editor-in-Chief
The reporter will provide political and government coverage for a States Newsroom’s Wisconsin Examiner news outlet. The reporter will work on daily, fast-paced deadlines to produce investigative and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief. The reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic blog and distribute site content on social media and other sources.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on issues facing Wisconsin
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s blog
- Generate story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editors and colleagues
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Previous news reporting and/or editing experience, sound news judgment, and ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Knowledge of state’s political landscape and leaders, Previous digital, photography and/or videography experience a strong asset.
To apply, send resume and at least 3 writing samples or clips to Ruth Conniff, Wisconsin Editor-in-Chief.