States Newsroom, a network of nonprofit news outlets focused on state politics and policy, is seeking a talented reporter to cover state government and the issues that affect millions of Louisianans daily.
The full-time reporter will work on daily, fast-paced deadlines to produce investigative and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with the Editor in Chief. The reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic briefs section and distribute site content on social media and other sources.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, enterprising reporting on a broad range of issues related to state government, state politics and state policy
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursue story leads with strong self-direction and news judgment
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when available
- Establish and expand social media presence representing the outlet
- Use personal social media accounts to amplify site’s content
- Take quality photos to illustrate stories
- Reliable personal transportation (mileage reimbursed)
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with sound news judgment and the ability to simultaneously manage ongoing short- and long-term projects. Three to five years previous news reporting and/or editing experience are preferred and can include student journalism. Previous experience covering state government strongly preferred.
States Newsroom offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
Send your resume, a brief introductory statement and clips (links or pdfs) to Editor in Chief Jarvis DeBerry via [email protected]