The Big Sky State is home to a lot of big news and covers a vast area. States Newsroom is seeking two talented reporters to cover state government and the issues that affect Montanans daily.
Two Montana reporters, based in Helena, will work on daily, fast-paced deadlines to produce investigative and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief, which could range from energy to outdoors to politics. Each reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic briefs section and distribute site content on social media and other sources.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on issues facing Montana
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editors and colleagues
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with sound news judgment and the ability to manage ongoing short- and long-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Previous news reporting and/or editing experience is required and can include student journalism. Knowledge of Montana’s political landscape and leaders and previous digital, photography and/or videography experience are preferred.
States Newsroom offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
To apply, please send a cover letter with resume and writing clips or links to Montana Editor-in-Chief Darrell Ehrlick via [email protected]