Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Newsroom Deputy Director
The Louisiana Editor-in-Chief will hire and oversee reporters, write commentary for the site and op-eds for traditional media outlets, and become an opinion leader in the state. Using States Newsroom affiliates as a model, the outlet will provide investigative and in-depth reporting as well as powerful commentary and analysis of the most critical decisions facing the state.
The Editor will also work with state-level progressive allies to feature their content on a dynamic blog and the outlet’s robust social media presence. The Editor will also work closely with States Newsroom director and deputy director as well as network peers in other states to share best practices and build relationships that help refine the outlet’s operations.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Hire and supervise reporting and digital staff to provide daily news coverage and investigative reporting on major state policy and political stories
- Provide weekly (at minimum) commentary on major state policy and political stories
- Develop and distribute original content daily
- Work with digital editor to build a robust social media presence including Facebook, Twitter, and emerging platforms
- Use personal social media accounts to amplify site’s content
- Place opinion pieces in traditional media outlets
- Appear in traditional media as opinion leader
- Develop and distribute original content to drive mainstream media coverage
- Solicit editorial content from contributors for blog and opinion section
- Closely monitor audience development and traffic and make regular reports to States Newsroom leadership
- Participate in weekly calls, monthly visits and periodic meetings of all States Newsroom affiliates in Washington
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field; at least 5 years of experience reporting and/or editing
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Deep knowledge of state’s political landscape and leaders; ability to work on deadline and manage others
Self-starter, strong writer, strong oral communication skills, sound news judgment
To apply, send resume and at least 3 writing samples or clips to [email protected].